Located just 15 minutes south of San Francisco, the beautiful beach-front town of Pacifica is the ideal hitching post for couples that want to celebrate romance any time of year.
The natural attributes of this coastal playground are the most obvious romantic pleasures, but there is a myriad of encounters that provoke intimacy, as follows:
- Pack a picnic breakfast or lunch from Oceana Market & Deli, then take a leisurely hike at Mori Point
- Enjoy lunch at Nick’s and be sure to share a bottle of your favorite wine with the signature grilled crab sandwiches
- Take a private, guided Silicon Segway tour around the town and along the ocean bluffs, then grab a tasty take-out lunch at Gorilla BBQ, which was featured on Guy Fieri’s “Dives, Diners and Drive-Ins”
- Take a power nap on a cozy blanket or leisurely walk along Rockaway Beach, then head over to Rock ‘n Robs for their popular hamburger and sweet potato fries along with the signature milkshake
- Have a pre-dinner glass of wine and appetizers, complemented by live music at A Grape in the Fog
- Book a table with a spectacular, panoramic view for the sunset and dinner at Moonraker Restaurant, Pacifica’s fine dining restaurant
- First thing in the morning, head out to the Pacifica Pier with fishing gear, crab trap, tackle and bait, which are all available for rent at Coastside Bait & Tackle
- For a hearty breakfast, check out the menu at Vallamar Station, which features large portions of the best, freshest fare (those in the know visit this restaurant on Sunday nights for their popular fried chicken
- Hike/walk the gentle path of the new Devils Slide Trail. Interpretive signage and stunning views of the Pacific are the focus
- Get your pamper on at Visions Seaside Spa or Oceano Coastal Spa
- Check out Pacifica Spindrift Theatre for live acts…as an example of their productions, Vagina Monologues playing through February 15, 2015
- Enjoy a spot of tea and light snack at Lovey’s Tea Shop where the mismatched china and quirky décor are easy on the eyes
- For dinner, head to the new Puerto 27 Peruvian Kitchen and Pisco Bar for the sunset hour and be sure to sample a variety of menu items, tapas style
- Check out who’s performing in town at pacificaperformances.org. The theatre features everything from opera to tango, blues and folk
- Boost your energy with breakfast at the Salada Beach Café where choices range from healthy to hearty
- Lunch al fresco at the Surf Spot and enjoy fresh seafood dishes and salads as well as free weekend concerts
- Dance the night away on Friday or Saturday night at Nick’s bar and lounge, then in the morning head over to Pacific Java Café for coffee, muffins and bagels to get back on your feet again…
- Power up and down some of the most intriguing mountain bike terrain in California, then head over to Colombo’s Deli for homemade soups, pastas, Italian meats and baked breads
- Paddle board at Linda Mar Beach
- Enjoy the new Devil’s Slide Tap Room at Pedro Point, which serves up 24 beers on tap and great pub grub
- Surf the popular beaches of Pacifica (surf lessons are available for those that need a refresher), then grab a sandwich or Vietnamese salad from Dinosaurs
- Enjoy wine and Champagne tastings at the new Table Wine Tasting Room
- Head over to Chit Chat Café on Friday or Saturday nights to enjoy the local music scene or enjoy their weekend BBQ lunch or dinner, which is served in front of the Pacifica Pier until sunset
- Dine at Kenny’s Café, for the local flavor
- Get in the groove at Long Board’s Margarita Bar or Winter’s Tavern for live, weekend entertainment
- If shopping for a souvenir strikes your fancy, Pacifica boasts some unique shops that offer gifts for any romantic occasion, including: Resurrected, Avani Salon, Sirens, Christmas by the Cove, Yonder Shop, Sun Valley Market, Jewels Forever, Obsessions Beauty Salon, Mazzetti’s Bakery, Pavilion of Flowers, Oceana Market and Best Pets.
Pacifica offers six lodging options in the budget to moderate price range and all are within walking distance to Pacifica’s beaches. Four are located at Rockaway Beach. The largest with 97 guest rooms is the Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel, a full-service hotel situated on Rockaway Beach with spacious accommodations, beautiful ocean views, a swimming pool and the upscale Moonraker restaurant. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pacifica provides very comfortable accommodations with ocean views and a complimentary hot Express Start Breakfast Bar. Offering a dash of Victorian charm is the pet-friendly Pacifica Motor Inn and adjacent to Nick’s Restaurant is the Sea Breeze Motel, which is very convenient for those looking to dance the night away at Nick’s. Situated across from Linda Mar Beach is another full service hotel called the Pacifica Beach Hotel. Under new ownership, the hotel now includes several remodeled rooms, offering spectacular ocean view rooms, Jacuzzi tubs, indoor swimming pool and the new Peruvian Restaurant, Puerto 27. Further north near Sharp Park is Americas Best Value Inn, which is a short walk from Pacifica Pier and the golf course.
America’s Best Value Inn Pacifica: (877) 784-6835/www.pacifica-bestvalueinn.com
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel: (650) 355-6300/ www.bestwesternlighthouse.com
Holiday Inn Express & Suites: (650) 355-5000/www.hiexpresspacifica.com
Pacifica Beach Hotel: (650) 355-9999/www.pacificabeachhotel.com
Pacifica Motor Inn: (800) 522-3772/www.pacificamotorinn.com
Sea Breeze Motel at Rockaway Beach: (650) 359-3903
Travel Tip: For more information about Pacifica, log onto VisitPacifica.com. Also highly recommend is the iPacifica mobile app for Apple or Android devices, which provides information on dining, shopping, galleries, lodging, weather and more.
Background: Pacifica. California
The natural beauty and unparalleled serenity of Pacifica, California has attracted travelers to this coastal gem for more than 100 years. Located just 15 minutes south of San Francisco, Pacifica feels worlds away but is convenient to some of the most vibrant, international communities on the West Coast. Easily accessible from Highway 1, Pacifica’ rich cultural heritage and bohemian personality make it a unique destination worth discovering.
Pacifica’s ethereal beauty is enhanced by its Mediterranean style weather. Refreshing temperatures range from 15-20 degrees cooler than the central coast, drawing visitors to Pacifica’s shoreline to ‘cool’ off during the hot summer months with its natural air-conditioning and attractive oceanfront accommodations. Likewise, Pacifica’s equally-appealing winter travel season provides a dramatic setting for those interested in off-season values and romantic departures.
Of the many diversions, Pacifica boasts some of the most breathtaking panoramic vistas atop a wide range of hiking trails and walking adventures along the expansive beaches dotting the destination’s shoreline. Additionally, the destination features a range of recreational options, including surfing, boating, scuba, fishing and paragliding, birding, cycling, golf, tennis, archery and horseback riding.
According to the National Marine Sanctuaries of the West Coast, Pacifica is known to be the fourth richest area in the world for marine mammal life.
For more information about the destination of Pacifica, California, please visit http://visitpacifica.com.