Morro Bay: My Journey to a Central Coast Playground
If you are interested in outdoor adventure, discover Morro Bay.
The seaside village is an ideal active getaway that boasts one of the Central Coast’s most gorgeous of settings. Located along scenic Highway 1 midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, Morro Bay is both beautiful and charming.
With its busy harbor and active fishing industry, Morro Bay is known as the place in San Luis Obispo County to savor local seafood, including local oysters and fresh salmon. Surrounding farms and vineyards yield a bounty of outstanding food and wines that are served in the town’s regionally-inspired harbor-view restaurants.
The town is also an idyllic beach destination with little shops that line the quaint streets and meander down to the bay.
Whether your adventurous spirit is extreme or serene, Morro Bay offers a wide range of options for activity-seekers, from kayaking, sailing, paddleboarding or surfing to hiking, horseback riding on the beach, biking or golfing.
While Morro Bay’s outdoor adventure is the appeal, you may want to plan your journey around one of the popular annual events, as follows:
- Winter Bird Festival – January
- Tall Ships arrive – February
- Kite Festival – April
- Cruisin’ Car Show – May
- B’qued Oyster & Beer Feast – May
- Art in the Park – Labor Day weekend
- Beer Festival – September
- Avocado & Margarita Festival – September
- Oyster Festival – October
- Lighted Boat Parade – December
Inn at Morro Bay:
The newly renovated Inn at Morro Bay is nestled on 4,000 acres just inside Morro Bay State Park. The charming property is a coastal hideaway with great views and proximity to the water’s edge. For more information and reservations: http://innatmorrobay.com or 805-772-5651
El Morro Masterpiece Hotel:
The El Morro Masterpiece Hotel is located near the fishing village of Morro Bay, within three or four blocks of the shops, sea and sand. The property offers several specialty themed packages, featuring nearby Hearst Castle; romance; kayaking or wine tasting. Complimentary breakfast served. For more information and reservations: http://www.masterpiecehotel.com or 805-772-5633
La Serena Inn:
This unpretentious property sits just blocks from the ocean in the center of Morro Bay and boasts one of the most ideal locations due to its proximity to the center of town and also to the Embarcadero and ocean. Complimentary breakfast served. For more information and reservations: http://www.laserenainn.com or 805-772-5665
Bella Vino’s Wine & Cheese:
Overlooking the bay, and best for its sunset views, this local wine bar is one of my personal favorites. My recommendation is to order one of the wine flights, for the best value and to sample several local vintages. Pair that with the gourmet cheese plate and you will satiate your palate as well as your belly.
Other local favorites include:
– Windows on the Water, which features a seasonal, locally sourced menu, bay views, full bar and extensive wine list.
– Rocca’s Surf Shack for the ever popular fish ‘n chips.
– Distasio’s On The Bay, which sits right on the waterfront and serves traditional Southern Italian fare, seafood, steak and pizza topped off with a fantastic view.
– Giovannis Fish Market with a wide variety of grilled and deep fried fish, shellfish, award winning chowder and Mexican seafood dishes.